A two alarm house fire in the Buckeye District off Lake Boulevard on Saturday afternoon was caused by a careless smoker, according to Redding Fire Marshal Craig Wittner. When firefighters arrived at the house on Williamson Road a little after 4:30PM, they found it heavily involved and called for a second alarm. The house lies next to a densely forested area, but firefighters kept the flames from spreading. One firefighter had to be treated for heat related injuries. Damage was significant, estimated at $75,000 for the house and another $50,000 worth of contents.
While Redding Firefighters were battling a house fire at the north edge of town, another series of fires broke out in a neighborhood at the southeast corner of the city. At 5:30PM there was a report of a structure fire in the area of Dominion Drive. Arriving firefighters found an equipment shed and vegetation on fire to the rear of a house on Denton Way. Embers from that fire had spread to the shake shingled roof of another house across and down the street on Denton Way. Flames also spread to backyard fences of four different homes. Crews quickly put out all the various fires. The original cause was determined to be electrical failure of swimming pool equipment. Overall damage is estimated at $30,000.