There is no custom code to display.

There is no custom code to display.

Investigators Say Cigarette Sparked Apartment Fire

A cigarette can damage a lot more than just a pair of lungs, as the tenant of a South Redding apartment hopefully learned. Just before 3AM Saturday, Redding Fire Department was called to the West Side Apartments on Westside Road. The fire was burning in the subfloor of one of the units, so firefighters had to tear out some siding and drywall from the 3 story building to access it. An investigation revealed that someone had improperly disposed of a cigarette and it fell through a crack on the patio and ignited the inside of the floor. There was a smoke alarm in the apartment, but the battery had been removed. Still, the 2 adults and 2 children who lived there got out safely. Damage is estimated at $10,000.