A home off South Market Street was heavily damaged by fire early Wednesday morning. At around 2AM, Redding Firefighters were sent to 3244 Veda Street. They found fire burning on one side of the house and smoke pouring form the doors and windows. The fire was extinguished and it was determined that nobody was still inside. The two people occupying the home said they had been living there since the property owner died several months ago. The utilities had long been shut off and they had been using a generator for power. Fire Marshal Craig Wittner says it was a mechanical failure of the generator that caused the fire. Damage was estimated at around $15,000 to the $75,000 building.