A large thick and seemingly endless column of smoke billowed out of a burning building off South Market overnight. Redding Firefighters responded at around 10 O’clock to a cavernous metal building at the corner of Fell and Favretto. Crews worked for hours as they tried to extinguish flames that just wouldn’t stay out. The large shop building was being used to store various equipment, tools, machines, vehicles, and all of the possessions of a couple who say they stay at the shop sometimes, according to fire investigator Patrick O’Connor. Not only were all of the couple’s furniture and other household belongings inside, the woman said there were also a lot of paints and varnishes and other chemicals she uses for her furniture refinishing business. The man said he believed the fire started from a cigarette.